Enkōin 円光院 was at first in Isawa and called "Seikōin 清光院", which was built in Hōgen era 保元年間 (1156-1159) . Then it was renamed "Jōjuin 成就院." In 1560, Takeda Shingen moved and reconstructed it in the current location. When his wife Sanjo-fujin 三条夫人 passed away in 1570, it was renamed "Zuiganzan 瑞巖山 Enkō-goji-zen-in 円光護持禅院" after her posthumous Buddhist name. Her grave is in it.
A bell tower 鐘楼
Priest's quarters 庫裏
Kōfu basin 甲府盆地
Takeda Shingen's gravestone is in the vicinity of the temple. It is said that he passed away at Ina 伊那, Nagano in 1573 and he was cremated at the place near Enkōin. Then his cremains were buried at Erinji 恵林寺 in Kōshū city. Before his death, he had ordered his following to keep his death a secret for three years. Stories founded on it are played out in Kagemusha 影武者 by Akira Kurosawa 黒澤明.
A stone monument in front of the gate, on which the following is written : Zuiunzan 瑞雲山 Chōzenji 長禅寺 has the grave of Ōi-fujin 大井夫人 (1497-1552), the mother of Takeda Shingen, and is the studying and training location of Shingen (Harunobu 晴信) in his childhood, and the venerable location where Shingen (Kizankō 機山公) practiced Zen meditation and took the tonsure to enter Buddhist priesthood.
Sanmon from its back, with a train of Chūō line
Niōmon 仁王門 (deva gate) and a stone monument, written "Zuiunzan Chōzenji"
A big temple bell 梵鐘
Kuri 庫裏 (priest's quarters)
Hondō 本堂 (main hall) under restoration
Mausoleum of Ōi no Kata 大井の方 (Ōi-fujin 大井夫人)
Five-storied stupa and grape fields in Mt. Atago 愛宕山